Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Packaging = trash

As we have embarked on this quest to be more environmentally friendly while not quite losing track of our suburban lifestyle, it's become apparent that many of the convenience products we use have an overabundance of packaging. When I take my kids through the drive-thru after a busy day of school/work, guitar lessons, art club and tae kwon do, we end up with a bag, and inside the bag are individually wrapped sandwiches, pre-portioned fries, napkins and condiments, plus in the drink tray are paper cups, straws and straw wrappers. With over 1 billion served, can you imagine the kind of waste that just our fast food products produce?

In small ways, we're trying to do better. When we order, if we're going home to eat, I'll ask for NO condiments or napkins because we have those at home. We don't order drinks; the kids will drink soda, juice or water at home. I feel like at least I'm making an effort. I can't be a perfect environmentalist all the time with the kind of schedule we keep, but at least I'm aware...and making some modifications in our behavior.

But still, I struggle with whether I can put the paper bag from the meal in the paper recycling?

No comments:

Post a Comment