Monday, October 18, 2010

Freecycle



Freecycle.org
became one of my favorite things about six years ago. At the time, I was newly divorced, on a strict budget, and environmentally conscious. When I first joined the Freecycle network in Kansas City, I did so to find clothing for my kids (without spending hours and hours scouring garage sales), and to have an outlet for those items I just didn't know what to do with (50 egg cartons, for example).


In those first few years, we were the recipients of numerous bags of boys' clothes, a woman's bicycle, a 4' deep 18' diameter swimming pool, and camping supplies. More recently, when our television croaked, the boys' first thought was, "Let's see if there's one on Freecycle," and there was!

Over the years, I have used Freecycle to give away far more than I've brought into my home, but using the network has become part of the culture of our house. When we clean out a room, organize the garage or end up with stuff we don't know what to do with...our first answer is, "Let's List it on Freecycle." Nine times out of ten, someone in our Kansas City Freecycle network will take and reuse the item that we're offering. 

It's important to note that Freecycle is not a need based organization. No sob stories are required. Its primary purpose is to keep usable items out of landfills. 

If we're going to save the Earth, then we must try to Reduce Reuse and Recycle. 

Freecycle.org is an excellent source for reusing items. 

Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment